The list of documents required in order to adopt a child, is established by the Government Resolution #275 and Article 72 of the Civil Procedure Code.
Presentation of documents for establishment of a guardianship or trusteeship is determined by the regulatory acts of the Family Code and Articles 31-40 of the Civil Code.
If you made a decision to adopt a child or to take him (her) into care, your first step will be submission of an application to the local child welfare authorities (CWA) requesting a conclusion on the possibility of being an adopter; the following documents should be attached to the application:
1. Brief autobiography
2. Medical conclusion of the state or municipal medical facility on the health of the prospective parent (form # 542).
In order to receive such a conclusion, it is necessary to undergo blood analyses (general and on infectious diseases - hepatites B / C, HIV, syphilis), perform ECG and photofluorogram, obtain the opinion of experts - narcologist, psychiatrist, dermatologist, oncologist, neurologist, infectious diseases specialist and internist. Next, head physician of the medical institution must assure the experts’ conclusion with his signature and a round seal.
3. Information on income from the employer indicating position and salary, or a certified declaration on incomes. Income must be greater than a subsistence minimum per each family member including the child that is going to be adopted.
4. Certificate of the Department of Internal Affairs about absence of a conviction for an intentional crime against the life or health of citizens
5. Document confirming ownership of the dwelling or an extract from the house register and a copy of the account from the place of residence.
6. A copy of the marriage certificate (if married). It is necessary to remember that the absence of a spouse is not a reason for refusal of the adopter status.
Documents specified in paragraphs 3-5 are valid within a year.
In addition it is necessary to attach a photocopy of the passport of the Russian Federation citizen to the documents. There is a different procedure and other required documents for the adoption of a child by foreign citizens.
Upon receipt of all required documents CWA representatives inspect the living conditions of the prospective parent and draw up a corresponding report. Further, within 15 days CWA prepares a conclusion on the possibility of being the adoptive parents.
Once a candidate for adoptive parents is registered, CWA provides information on children available for adoption, and gives direction for visiting the children. Prospective adoptive parents are required to get acquainted with the child, child's documents, and to confirm the fact of acquaintance with the medical report on the child's health in written form.
The next step is judicial consideration of the case on the child adoption. You have to submit an application of the prospective adoptive parent with a request for the adoption approval. It (among other items - according to the form) should include the request to change the first name, last name, patronymic, date and place of birth of the adopted child, to register the adoptive parents of the child as his (her) parents in the book of civil status acts.
Documents for adoption, which were submitted to the CWA, should be also attached to the court preference (in two copies).
Documents required for guardianship (trusteeship) are the same as for the adoption of a child. Information about the parents of the child that is going to be taken into care, confirming the possibility of guardianship has to be presented as well. There is also required the child's statement expressing his (her) agreement, if he (she) has reached the age of ten years.
It should be noted that there is no need in court for guardianship establishment, and no changes are made in the records of the civil status acts.