Another name for this pathology is missed abortion.
Its form - blighted ovum. In this case fertilization occurs normally, but then the embryo does not develop.
Experts still do not know the precise causes of missed pregnancy; at the early stages it is usually caused by serious genetic defects in the embryo (in 70% of cases).
At the later stages missed abortion (second trimester or later) can be provoked by infectious diseases of a woman, traumatic exposures, etc.
However, there are cases when pregnancy fades for no apparent reason, a woman may even have two or three missed abortions.
But do not despair! Just as spontaneous conception can occur after unsuccessful infertility treatment, in the same way you can get pregnant after a missed abortion.
Causes of missed abortion
- consumption of nicotine and alcohol;
- administration of certain drugs;
- nfectious diseases (influenza, cytomegalovirus; measles is particularly dangerous);
- STDs (gonorrhea, syphilis, mycoplasmosis, etc.); vdiabetes mellitus;
- hormonal imbalance (insufficiency of progesterone or estrogen);
- peracute immune response of the mother's body (in this case the embryo's proteins are perceived as foreign, and are attacked by the immune system);
- antiphospholipid syndrome (formation of blood clots in the placenta vessels, which leads to the disturbance of the embryo's nutrition and death);
- hazardous employment;
- weight lifting;
- regular stressing.
- after the age of 35 years;
- those who have done a lot of abortions;
- women, who have been previously diagnosed an ectopic pregnancy;
- women with abnormalities of the uterus development;
The first trimester (from the 1st to the 13th week) as a whole is more dangerous for the fetal development; it is necessary to be especially careful at the 3-4th and 8-11th weeks.
However, there is also a risk during the second trimester of pregnancy (missed abortion symptoms will be indicated below), especially on the 16-18th week.
How to identify silent miscarriage?
In different women, the symptoms may vary, or missed abortion does not manifest itself at all for several weeks. So do not search the internet for the symptoms of missed abortion; forum in this case is not the best advisor.
The symptoms also do not depend on whether this is the first missed abortion, or a woman has already had 2 or 3 missed abortions.
The list below is not an unambiguous indicator of missed abortion. However, if any symptoms that may indicate the missed abortion (at the early stages) occur, the best decision will be to see a gynecologist:
- sudden cessation of toxicosis;
- cramping pain;
- cessation of swelling of the mammary glands;
- basal temperature decreases in the case of missed abortion;
- overall temperature in the case of missed abortion may be increased.
How to identify missed abortion - diagnostics
What methods are used to establish the diagnosis "missed abortion" (in the second trimester or in early pregnancy and "missed abortion in late pregnancy")?
1. Analysis on HCG.
The level of this hormone in the case of missed abortion is lower than it should be in normal pregnancy at that term (first or second trimester) - so the test will indicate missed abortion. However it is necessary to keep in mind that high level of HCG can also persist within a few weeks after the occurrence of the first or the second missed abortion. The fetus has frozen - but the hormonal background has not changed.
If missed abortion is diagnosed during ultrasound examination, the video "shows" no heartbeat of the fetus.
3. Gynecological examination.
Decreased basal temperature in the case of missed abortion, conformity of the uterus size to the gestation period - all of this is determined by a doctor.
Also, particularly a gynecologist appoints the appropriate treatment after missed abortion, assigns analyzes after missed abortion, and determines pregnancy planning pregnancy after missed abortion.
If a woman has been diagnosed with "missed abortion", an Internet forum will hardly help in treatment; all prescriptions have to be done by a doctor.
Treatment after missed abortion.
Often at the earliest terms a woman has a spontaneous miscarriage, sometimes it even happens that a woman does not suspect that she had missed abortion, the period comes with a slight delay.
With the diagnosis of "missed abortion", the treatment is performed using the following methods:
1. Medicamentous. It is applied in the term of less than 8 weeks. There are prescribed medications that cause miscarriage.
2. Vacuum aspiration (mini-abortion). The operation is usually performed under general anesthesia with application of vacuum suction unit, which cleans the uterine cavity.
It also happens that doctors take a waiting attitude; if for some reason there was a missed abortion, a woman's body performs the treatment on its own through the spontaneous abortion.
But in any case, medical supervision is required. If spontaneous miscarriage has not occurred, it is necessary to perform cleaning (scraping after missed abortion) of the uterine cavity. Also, scraping after missed abortion is necessary if in one or two weeks ultrasonography shows the presence of the ovum residues in the uterus.
Planning of pregnancy after missed abortion
An Internet forum will hardly be able to give a definite answer on the question of when to plan a pregnancy after missed abortion - only impressions of women who have had one or even two missed abortions.
The minimum term of waiting recommended by doctors is six months. During that time after being diagnosed with "missed abortion", the consequences of such a pathological condition will reduce. One and especially two missed abortions have a negative impact on the female organism. It is necessary to carry out a series of preventive measures in order to prevent fetal fading in the future.
What analyses should be performed after missed abortion?
- blood analysis on the level of hormones (progesterone and estrogen);
- uterine tissues study (histology).
- vaginal swab for STDs;
- Ultrasonography of the pelvic organs;
Prevention of pregnancy fading
The reason of pregnancy fading is not yet exactly known. However, a lot of women have given birth after a missed abortion; to give birth to a healthy child is quite real. Of course, if required (according to the analysis results) it is necessary to undergo the treatment.
Before planning a pregnancy it is recommended to be vaccinated against rubella and chickenpox. This is especially relevant for women who are at risk - in this case, those are women working in child care centers, where you can easily get infected with these diseases. It is also necessary to treat sexually transmitted diseases, to undergo a general strengthening course of vitamins, and to stimulate the immune system. The treatment regimen should be discussed with the attending physician.
But if all the results are normal, the treatment may not be necessary.
The best protection from the fetal fading is a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy planning.