Increasingly, in IVF cycles during stimulation and after a puncture, patients are wondering if they need keep a diet. This question is especially relevant for those with a sufficient number of eggs (12 and more) obtained after a follicular puncture.
Of course, detailed individual recommendations to patients are given by the attending reproductologist, but there are general principles of nutrition, which should be followed during this important period.
The basic principle is a protein-rich food. What is protein for the organism? Proteins are complex organic compounds consisting of the amino acids (more than 80), 22 of which are most common in food products. Proteins have many vital functions in the human body, including:- serve as a building material for cells, tissues and organs, as well as for the formation of enzymes and the majority of hormones, hemoglobin and other compounds;
- form compounds providing immunity to infections;
- are involved in the absorption of fats, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins.
An example of useful foods rich in protein, which are recommended to eat:
- Chicken or turkey breast without skin, steamed or baked;
- Beef, also steamed or baked;
- Fish (mackerel, sardines, etc.);
- Olive, corn and flaxseed oil. Fish and oil, other than protein, contain healthful unsaturated fats and amino acids, which protect body cells and stabilize their normal operation, reduce the risk of cardiovascular complications, thromboses, hypertension, as well as normalize level of blood lipids and heart rate;
- Hard cheeses;
- A lot of greens
Foods that are recommended to be excluded from the diet for a while:
- Any forms of pastries, white bread, except for whole-wheat bread;
- Vegetables with high content of starch: potatoes, corn; as well as vegetables causing fermentation and abdominal bloating: cabbage, beans;
- Any dairy products;
- Spicy and salty snacks, condiments and spices.
While following the food regime on the basis of protein food, be sure to drink plenty of water, since the transition from the normal to the protein food regime can provoke occurrence of constipations. Water is consumed in small portions (about half a glass) in approximately equal intervals throughout the day. Water is effective against constipations and without any problems from the gastro-intestinal tract, helps to transfer to a special for the organism food regime, while continuing a full life without any discomfort. It is also important to drink a large amount of liquid in the form of non-carbonated water, homemade fruit drinks, fruit compotes, excluding carbonated mineral water, any sweet carbonated drinks, juices and fruit drinks, bought in a store, containing colorants and large amount of sugar.
Proper nutrition involves a fairly strict schedule of meals. Number of meals should be increased to 5-7 times a day, while taking food in small portions. It is recommended to have the last meal at least 2-3 hours before bedtime.
Of course, it is necessary to diversify the menu, including into it stewed, boiled and baked dishes. It is advisable to temporarily exclude fried food. It is also necessary to limit the daily amount of salt to 5 grams per day, because salt binds liquid and can cause problems with the gastrointestinal tract. Despite some limitations in the diet, it is necessary to try to diversify the table, and, ideally, it should consist of 2-3 dishes. Nutrition must be adequate, and then it will ensure proper functioning of all systems and organs. Of course, such diet does not imply any fasting.